Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Potato Pudding

I really enjoy old cookbooks. They're fun to read, and I've had good luck finding recipes in them that can be easily adapted to dairy free. Maybe it's because they don't use many pre-packaged ingredients?



One of my current favorites is the Wisconsin Country Cookbook and Journal, by Edward Harris Heth. It used to belong to my mom, but she found it too frustrating. It does have vague instructions like "moderate oven," "seal in a casing of rye bread dough" (no rye bread dough recipe is included), and "serve with a rich cream sauce." But I like how it reads like a seasonal journal; I find it comforting. I'm trying to translate some of the recipes into more current terms. Here's his recipe for potato pudding, greatly adapted.

Potato Pudding

2 cups hash brown shreds, thawed
1 cup carrot shreds
1 cup onion, chopped or grated*
2 tablespoons soy milk
salt and pepper
2-3 tablespoons soy margarine

Mix the potatoes, carrots, and onion in a small, greased casserole dish. Toss with the soy milk and salt and pepper. Dot with the soy margarine. Bake, covered, at 325 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 minutes.
(My kids like this with ketchup. )

*Chopped onions are more visible, but you can taste them less. Grated onions blend into the potato shreds, but you can taste them more. Pick whatever way your family likes their onions.

1 comment:

  1. I just made potato pancakes the night before last. ANYthing with potatoes is fine by me! I will try this one next week, thanks!
    As for your friends great ideas? I don't really know - but there's GOT to be something on the internet, or a book at the library that they could reference. I've had a good idea or two myself, but never followed through on them.

    ReplyDelete