Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Internet Sickness Warning Signs; Reader Question

I think I have a case of Internet Sickness. Here are some warning signs.

You, to your husband: Today was a great Facebook day, if I were that sort of person.
Husband: How so?
You: "Spent today with my beautiful family putting up the gazebo, painting porch furniture, and getting the yard ready for spring. Now my man is grilling chicken and baking bread for our yummy dinner. #IloveSaturdays"
It would be perfect if I had run 10 miles today. Or, you know, ever. I could include that too.
Husband: [Laughing] Step away from the computer.

You keep composing long incoherent rants in your head about food allergy-related food restrictions versus self-imposed food restrictions that factor in economic status and freedom of choice. You realize Speedbump Kitchen has already done this in a coherent, non-offensive manner. You consider attaching Speedbump Kitchen's post on liberty to everything you write.

You're thinking of changing your blog signature to "You can make whatever substitutions you want to in my recipes and you are welcome to share them if you can do so in a friendly, helpful manner.  Otherwise, you are welcome to do whatever you like in the privacy of your own kitchen."

Yeah, not the worst case I've ever seen, but time for a little sunlight therapy. What do you do to cure Internet Sickness?
----------
So what reader are you all going to use since Google's is going away? I still use iGoogle for my homepage, too, late adapter that I am. Please help me move on.

6 comments:

  1. I'm using Feedly. If you ignore the main screen and just click on "all items" it's nice. I like the Old Reader too, but I read so much from my phone and it's not very mobile friendly - no app yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get away from it for awhile, usually by spending more time reading or watching TV/movies.

    I'm using The Old Reader. I tried Feedly but couldn't figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I've been tempted to move from Blogger and do what you did, Swistle. How are you feeling about your new home?

      Delete
  3. Heee....heeee....heeee

    "You keep composing long incoherent rants in your head about food allergy-related food restrictions versus self-imposed food restrictions that factor in economic status and freedom of choice", um YES.

    Also, I had someone comment about a recipe I made once. It was like "I used x instead of y and z instead of abc and I didn't refrigerate and it was just awful! It looked good in your picture but it was terrible! Ugh."

    ORILLY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go outside :) Hmm, switching to social media I think. Readers and emails are just too overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I just choked on my half-microwaved last-night's pizza (that I was already partly choking down to get out the door for work) when I read your blog signature! Too funny!

    Good luck on deciding how/if/when to move your blog. I moved myself from Blogger to self-hosted wordpress a year ago or so. Everything went smoothly, but it was like 2 weeks of my life sucked into a hole. That's ok in March, but not so ideal in the summer. You can do the transfer yourself, but self-hosted costs $$ for a hosting service and buying a theme...probably $150 total per year.

    Upside is, you own your material. No one is going to come audit you and disappear your posts. And you can make some cash with ads. Might even break even :)

    ReplyDelete