Thursday, May 10, 2012

Kickin' it old school

Why yes I did buy some prune juice on sale with coupons, thank you for asking.  Time for a depression-era-type recipe, yes?

Prune Coffee Cake, adapted from Cooks.com and Paula Deen

EDIT:  YES, IT HAS FLOUR.  My copy/paste skillz are lacking.

2 c. FLOUR
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and allspice
1/2 c. shortening or coconut oil.  Or lard.  Whatever.
1 c. prune juice, divided
2 eggs

Mix all dry ingredients; add shortening and 3/4 cup prune juice. Beat for 2 minutes. Add remaining prune juice, vanilla and eggs. Beat for 2 minutes more. Bake in 9 by 13 inch pan at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 T. plain soymilk
1 t. vanilla
dash of salt
Stir ingredients together. When the cake comes out of the oven, immediately spread glaze on top.


6 comments:

  1. Oh yum! I also love depression era recipes like these. I love the women's ingenuity to come up with solutions to no flour or rations or using what they had on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's tasty, but somehow I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a coffee cake that does not contain flour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would this be gluten free? I guess it depends on the vanilla. I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH! When one copies and pastes, one must get all ingredients.

      Delete
  4. I love recipes like these too! So easy and always loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to ask about the flour yesterday, and Blogger ate my comment! I was wondering how it all came together! I mean, I knew prunes were magical, but I didn't think they were THAT magical.

    ReplyDelete