Monday, July 14, 2008

Non-Recipes

My sincere apologies to those who are fasting for my writing about food, but I want to write these non-recipes down before I forget them.

Slow Cooker Chicken

I'm sure this is not revolutionary to many of you, but it is to me. Take one whole chicken, rinse it and pat it dry, and season it all over with the seasonings of your choice. (I used Aldi's chicken seasoning, Emeril's Original Essence, and salt.) Stick it in your slow cooker with a chopped up onion. Do not add ANY liquid. Cook on low heat 6-7 hours, at which point you will have very tender chicken and flavorful broth.

Now, you can eat the chicken as is, OR you can debone it and shred it and mix it back into the broth that you have thickened with flour, or cornstarch, or arrowroot, or whatever. Serve the chicken/gravy mixture over biscuits or waffles, OR put it in a pie crust (brush the top with egg white if you like) and bake it for 30 minutes at 425 degrees.

Non-Dairy Pesto

I made this the other day and didn't measure a thing, so here are my vague directions. Blend together in your food processor:
1 part basil
2 parts parsley
1 part walnuts (or other nut)
1 clove garlic
salt
pepper
olive oil (enough to make the pesto the consistency you want)

When you put it in a container to refrigerate it or freeze it, drizzle a little more olive oil on the top so it doesn't discolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment