Monday, March 31, 2008

Seven

Hey! Where have I been? I've been here, with my lists of seven. (I'm altering the rules, Ria.)

Seven aliments of the House of Hatfield:
1. stomach flu
2. ear infections
3. sinus infection
4. thrush
5. common cold
6. diaper rash
7. RSV scare (not RSV, another virus)

Seven dairy-free recipes we've enjoyed recently*:
1. Magic Marshmallow Crescent Puffs (renamed "Celebration Rolls" for Easter breakfast because the marshmallow "disappears" and they're empty when you cut them open. You know, like the tomb.) Also, if you're looking for more Easter/Springtime brunch ideas, check out Alisa's recipes.

2. Fruit Pizza (made with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese instead of dairy cream cheese for Eli's birthday)
3. Country Fried Steak and Gravy
4. Bubba's Beer Biscuits (I'm sorry, all of you Paula haters--We like her recipes.)
5.Back to School Sloppy Joes
6. Split Pea Soup (made with leftover Easter ham)
7. Lady Brownies
*Replace all butter with dairy-free margarine, of course.

Lady Brownies by Paula Deen
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (I do 1/2 applesauce, 1/2 oil)
4 eggs
6 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla
11/2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Blend together the sugar, oil, (applesauce,) eggs, cocoa, and vanilla. Add flour; mix. Add nuts; spread into greased 13x9-inch pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Seven books I'm reading a page of whenever I have a second:
1. The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook (Um, obviously.)
2. Birth
3. The Baby Book
4. The Soul's Code (An unlabeled gift I received in the mail. From my brother-in-law, maybe? )
5. A nonfiction political book. I'm trying to stretch, here.
6. Eat, Pray, Love
7. Felicity's Cooking Studio (This is Katherine's, but I'm really enjoying it.)

Off to do dishes and laundry before our next pediatrician appointment....

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. Having sick little kids is no fun- but that list of food made me SO HUNGRY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marshmallow is JESUS?? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! That is teh awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to stop reading posts that make me hungry--where am I going to get brownies now???

    I saw Eat Pray Love at Target today and I almost bought it. You'll have to tell me if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swistle - Yeah, I guess it could be seen as a bit sacreligious, but, hey, I got the idea from our minister's wife!

    Saly - I really like Eat, Pray, Love so far. My parents and sister recommended it, and we don't all have the same taste in books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum - thank you for the recipes. I'm definitely going to try the fruit pizza. For Easter we made a "cheese" danish with the tofutti better than cream cheese - it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete