Thursday, October 09, 2008

Caramel Apple Cake

I haven't tried Maggie's Vegan Caramel Apples yet, but I did make Caramel Apple Cake last night. This is one of those back-of-the-box recipes from Bisquick, altered by me. I was going to photograph the cake, but, um, it's GONE.

1 1/2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2 medium cooking apples, peeled and sliced (2 cups)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt, to taste
1 cup boiling water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix Bisquick and granulated sugar in medium bowl. Stir in soy milk until blended.
Pour into ungreased square pan, either 9x9 or 8x8. Top with apples; sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon (and salt, if desired); sprinkle over apples. Pour boiling water over apples.
Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Ummm... YUM! Can't wait to try this - I have everything on hand, too! I also want to try those caramel apples... I hope they are as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good. And there really isn't any dairy in the Bisquick mix?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. No dairy. Bisquick is one of our staples.

    ReplyDelete