Monday, March 23, 2009

Angel Food Review

We picked up our allergen-free Angel Food Ministries box on Saturday. Usually people bring their own boxes and file through a line to pick up their foods one by one. The allergen-free foods are prepackaged and, in our pickup center, are kept on a separate table away from the other foods.


Here is the 5 lb. box of allergen-free meats. The label says that the meats are produced by Allergy Free Foods.


Ta da!


The five one-pound bags of uncooked, prebrowned meat:
Country fried chicken wings
Country fried beef steak
Boneless country fried chicken breasts with rib meat
Country fried chicken breast nuggets with rib meat
Country fried chicken tenderloins


Uncooked chicken tenderloins


Chicken nuggets label

All of the meats are battered with:
water, white rice, brown rice, modified tapioca starch, flax seed, sugar, salt, spices, dehydrated garlic, spice extractives and oleoresin paprika
and breaded with:
white rice, brown rice, modified tapioca starch, flax seed, sugar, dextrose, salt, spices, dehydrated garlic, spice extractives and oleoresin paprika. The breading is prebrowned in canola oil.


Cooked chicken nuggets with Catherine Newman's Black Bean Dip on the side

So far, we have tried the chicken nuggets and the chicken breasts and enjoyed them both. The nuggets are white meat and not gristly at all. The chicken breasts are whole breasts, not processed patties.

Price breakdown

This 5 lb. box of food was $25. Each 1 lb. bag would feed our family of two adults and three small children for one meal. Or, I could get two to three lunches for three children out of each bag. Obviously, you get more for your money with the $30 regular box of food, which I would do if we didn't have an allergy to worry about. But from reviews I've read, it sounds as if the meat in the allergen-free box is of better quality than the regular meat. The breading ingredients are of good quality. And if you order these products directly from Allergy Free Foods' website, they cost $10/lb. before shipping.

We plan to order Angel Food's allergen-free box again. Those of you who live in larger cities may be able to find better deals by shopping around, but for those of us in rural areas without many allergen-free shopping options, I think this is a good deal.

10 comments:

  1. Really interesting post. Thanks so much for sharing this! This could be great for many families.

    I am still super-skeptical about the meat but then again, I am one of those who buys the meat that's vegetarian fed, no hormones, no antibiotics, etc. If I could learn more recipes, I'd just go vegetarian! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that this worked out well for you. It's great that they are doing this Allergen Free box now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad this worked out for you! My big dumb self forgot to place the order this month (Gah!) I was at a conference and Honey was on a business trip and making the order just got lost in the shuffle. I am made at myself, but hey, what are you going to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review!! I'm glad to know that this is available and that it is GOOD!! I was nervous about the breading and my food allergy child doesn't actually like breading, but I will keep it in mind for sure. It sounds delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the review and ingredient list! It's surprising how hard honest info is to find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need to order one of those. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this. I never would have found out about it otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this! We're hooked on Bell and Evans nuggets but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find them when we move. I have this bookmarked for back now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried the country fried beef steaks last night. My son vomited immediately after eating them. He has egg and milk allergies. I have sent an email to the Angel Food folks and they are contacting the vendors and buyers to double check to make sure there was no egg or milk in the country fried beef steaks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katherine tried all of the varieties *except* the beef. She has been having more and more problems with beef from any source lately (itchy mouth, etc.) and doesn't like to eat it. I don't know if it's cross-contamination issues, something to do with beef processing, or something more. Anyway, I'm so sorry and will be anxious to hear what they say.

    ReplyDelete