Monday, December 15, 2008

Shuttemup Cookies

Thank you all so much for your travel suggestions. AAA! Consignment store toys! Genius.

We had a very busy weekend of Christmas Cantata and Christmas play and Christmas dinner. Scott and Katherine did their cantata and play parts very well, and I made the easiest chocolate chip cookies in the world to take to the Christmas dinner.

Shuttemup Cookies, adapted from The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book by Peg Bracken
She calls them "the fastest chocolate chip cookie," and she ain't lyin.

Cream together:
1 cup dairy-free margarine
1 cup light brown sugar

Then add:
2 cups flour
1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped (optional)

Mix it, press it into a 9"x13" rectangular pan, and bake it for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. (I use a rimmed cookie sheet.) Cut it into bars while it's still warm. "If you forget, just break it up when it's cool."

9 comments:

  1. hello

    i found your blog the other day looking for a dairy free baked oatmeal.
    ...our lives have suddenly changed. from milking 2 cows/ weston a price type living to discovering we have a decidedly dairy-allergic 2 year old... he is doing so much better in just 3 weeks but i have no idea how to cook anymore.

    glad your blog is here!

    tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about these cookies. Your tummy doesn't care if they are round, bars, or pieces. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I must have done something wrong. I made these cookies tonight and they smelled and tasted horrible - like something was missing and there was too much flour. I just don't know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear! I just double checked the recipe, and I typed up the ingredients and directions correctly. What kind of margarine did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They do turn out more shortbread-y than cookie-y in texture....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good. And simple. I'm going to try it later today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I ask what you use for your chocolate chips? I used to use Sam's choice from Walmart, but they don't make them anymore.

    ReplyDelete