Monday, August 03, 2009

A La Mode

Remember when I said I was going to start inventing and making homemade snacks? Well, I was half right. I've been making a lot of homemade snacks--using other people's recipes. Why reinvent the wheel when other people have already written wonderful recipes for granola and granola bars and now... vegan ice cream.



I had the chance to read and cook from Hannah Kaminsky'snewest ebook, A La Mode, and it is wonderful. I made the Jam Ice Cream because we have tons of homemade jam on hand. It turned out beautifully--creamy and delicious. Katherine said it's better than Tofutti's Wild Berry Supreme, and even Scott liked it. True confessions: the raspberry jam I used was from a batch that didn't set up quite right but was perfect for ice cream flavoring.

While some of the recipes have slightly complex ingredient lists, others are very simple. The Jam Ice Cream has just three ingredients! I used our small gel canister ice cream maker, which was cheap as ice cream makers go. I think we're going to save a lot of money--and have fun creating our own signature flavors--with the help of Hannah's cookbook.

The recipes are:
Birthday Cake Ice Cream
Buttered Popcorn Ice Cream
Chai Latte Ice Cream
Cherry Cola Ice Cream
French Vanilla Ice Cream
German Chocolate Ice Cream
Jam Ice Cream
Maple-Pecan Ice Cream
Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Ice Cream
Peanut Butter Bomb Shell Ice Cream
Peppermint Crush Ice Cream
Rose Petal Ice Cream
White Peach-Rosemary Ice Cream
plus variations on several of them

You can download this cookbook instantly for $5. Not a bad deal, huh?

This review written for Go Dairy Free.

8 comments:

  1. Ohhh fun stuff! The ice cream flavors containing whey keep increasing, so I got a maker at a thrift store to try and suprise Johnny. Only problem is, it's missing a major component! :( I guess you get what you pay for at $3.99. I'll have to get a replacement part or new one and give this book a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. not a bad deal at all. that white peach rosemary one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! And good job using the not-quite-right raspberry jam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip on the e-book. I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm this sounds great!
    I was just telling my husband today that ice cream was one of those things I would really love to make myself and here is some sweet inspiration : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a good deal. You have sparked my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG my mouth is drooling at the thought of that ROSE PETAL ice cream! sounds so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My nephew was just recently diagnosed as semi-allergic and generally "not allowed to have dairy." His parents are at a loss of what to give him for dessert treats-- I'll have to pass this along!

    ReplyDelete