Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Steak Salad with Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing



I made steak salads for dinner the other night--the Pittsburgh way, with French fries. Hey, the lettuce was from our local CSA farm. And I'm all for fries or croutons or fried noodles if it gets the kids to eat salad. I used leftover flank steak for the meat, but any leftover sliced steak will do.

The ranch dressing is an adaptation of a Todd Wilbur recipe from Top Secret Restaurant Recipes. I know Wilbur is not well-liked in the allergy community, and I do not approve of his recipe-discovery methods, but I appreciate his cookbooks. We've successfully made a lot of his recipes dairy free and enjoyed them very much. They've given Katherine a chance to 'try' foods from restaurant chains that she's wondered about.

Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing, adapted from Top Secret Restaurant Recipes

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 T plain soymilk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. onion powder
1/8 t. paprika
1/2 t. chopped fresh dill, or 1/4 t. dried dill
1/2 t. chopped fresh parsley
salt to taste

Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Chill in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.

13 comments:

  1. This recipe looks great. May try it tonight.
    Do you think rice milk or almond milk would taste ok? We don't stock soy milk at this house. Since its a small bit, I bet the rice or almond would not affect the taste too much.

    Thanks - my kids have never tasted ranch dressing so I bet they will like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace, I think either of those would be fine. If it were a larger amount of milk substitute, I would sour it with vinegar. But since it's so small, I figure the vinegar in the recipe takes care of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back answering my own question too.
    Just made it with vanilla rice milk and dried dill and it tastes great. The girls both liked it. When you see how fast easy it is to make your own dressing it makes ya wonder why we buy all the bottled stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you just made it! Glad it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. makes me hungry!!! I wonder if my son would eat a salad if it had french fries on it... Gah, he'd probably want to put ketchup on it too!!! YUCK!

    I can't wait to try your ranch recipe though!!! Sweet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we're trying it tonight!! We're original-rice-dreamers ourself, so I don't need to worry about the vanilla thing, but THANKS for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm! It sounds great! I wish my mom made this for me when I was younger....I just refused to eat vegetables when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to get that book, and also, I love that the dressing is dairy-free!!!! I am increasingly sensitive to lactose, like where I used to be able to have an ice cream once in awhile and be fine, now I pay for it every single time, and can't even tolerate real milk in coffee, and I always substitute soy milk in cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With that photo, I have one thing to say: YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! I'm glad your kid can still get a taste of "ranch"...It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks delicious and I am not even hungry. I may have to try that one out.

    ReplyDelete