Thursday, July 02, 2009

Happy Food Allergy Bullet Points

  • Sue found Smooze pops in her store: "I found Smooze at Whole Foods and the girls LOVE it. So does J. And at 10 for $5.39 as opposed to 3 ice cream bars for almost $5, it's a steal. I just hope they don't do what they did with coconut milk yogurt and jack up the price after you're hooked. :)" Thanks, Sue!
  • Someone sent me a request for reviewing glasses the other day. I refused, but we started chatting, and it turned out to be Hillary, sister of Bug and BooBoo's Mom of No Moo for You. I love how small the Internets can be. So say hi! You never know who you might be talking with.
  • A friend of mine from grad school, who we haven't seen since K. was about 18 months old, came for a visit last week. This would have been great enough, but she showed up on our doorstep with Divvies cookies and Dandies vegan marshmallows. How thoughtful is that? This was the first time we'd tried Divvies, and now I see what all the fuss is about. Mmm. Also, I am now one step closer to understanding why people rave about homemade marshmallows. The Dandies were SO good--such a wonderful soft consistency.
  • A local cooking show filmed at library storytime last week. While many of the foods had dairy, one of the cooks just happened to make a dairy-free slaw and dairy-free no-bake cookies with Enjoy Life chocolate chips. Katherine was over the moon that she could eat two of the five or so dishes. The slaw was vegan and gluten- and nut-free, and the cookies were dairy- and egg-free. Something for everyone doesn't have to be difficult--I promise.

13 comments:

  1. Homemade marshmallow are easy and fun to make. Try it!
    I am pretty sure this is the recipe I used:
    http://homecooking.about.com/od/candyrecipes/r/blcandy4.htm

    Any recipe on the internet is pretty much the same. Of COURSE I made a few substitutions (since we don't use cane sugar I used fructose instead).

    YUM! I just make make some today too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Life chocolate chips are amazing. I was addicted during my last pregnancy.

    Now I must go find some! Yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Homemade marshmallows sound heavenly!

    I'm not allergic to milk, but I'm pretty seriously intolerant, and it's so hard to avoid milk in foods. I'm so impressed that you're able to come up with so many wonderful-sounding foods!

    Thanks for coming by my blog the other day, and sorry I didn't get back to visit you before now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade marshmallows? Yum. I'm constantly looking for nut- and egg-free cookies. Is the recipe posted on the tv station's site?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sitting: The slaw was nut free, but the cookie recipe used nut butter. You could use sunflower seed butter, though.

    The recipes aren't posted. I can try to track them down. The cookies were no bakes with wheat germ, nut butter, honey, choc. chips, dried fruit, and I don't remember what else!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm Divvies! We ate up the 12 cupcakes we got so fast it's embarrassing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With the Smooze posts I forgot to mention. Have you tried COOL FRUITS? They are natural popcicles. I would NOT recommend the sour apple flavor - stick with cherry and grape!!

    http://www.coolfruits.com/default.aspx

    They state:
    Cool Fruits® Fruit Juice Freezer Pops are 100% natural and are free of artificial colors, flavors and preservatives. There are no added sugars, no fat ,and they do not contain peanuts, tree nuts, dairy, soy or wheat gluten. Suitable for diabetics, they are vegan and very low in sodium.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grace--I'll have to look around for those! We usually make our own, but sometimes it's easier to buy (like when we travel).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, marshmallows are so yummy! I haven't explored the different varieties, but now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved reading these! Such good foodie notes.

    I was recently hooked in by those darn homemade marshmallows too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so happy for Katherine that she found so many dishes she can enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I shared the Smooze with my girlfriend and her kids yesterday (one is pn & tn allergic). They were a huge hit with them too but unfortunately they don't have a whole foods near them.

    I always keep Divvies in our freezer. They are so good!

    That's great Katherine was able to taste test the dishes. Nothing makes their day more, or ours. :)

    ReplyDelete