Thursday, July 09, 2009

Death of a Dream

The candy by the checkout counter is a pain for all parents. I think I'm safe in making that blanket statement. That is one time when I find K's food allergy to be a blessing in disguise because I don't let her touch or buy any of it. Her siblings have learned that we just don't buy those foods and don't even question it.

But oh! How I long for Santa to put a Snickers in her stocking. How I wish her Easter basket could be filled with pastel-wrapped chocolates that look like everyone else's and her trick-or-treat bag could be weighed down with Milky Ways, Three Muskateers, and Almond Joys.

When I first heard of Go Max Go's vegan candy bars, I thought my wish had been granted. They make four varieties of candy bars:
Jokerz (Snickers)
Mahalo (Almond Joy)
Twilight (Milky Way)
Buccaneer (Three Muskateers)
They are delicious. Better than the originals in many ways.

I presented them to Katherine as you might present caviar and water crackers. She tried them. And said that her mouth felt itchy. Because she had eaten other foods first, we weren't sure if she was reacting to the candy or not. Awesome mom that I am, a few days later I asked her to try a bite of candy bar again. I so wanted her to be able to eat them. She took one bite, waited a couple of minutes, and asked for Benadryl.

So. Sadly, I cannot recommend these lovely candy bars because they are "manufactured in a facility that produces products containing dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts, and other tree nuts." Nine times out of ten, products with this warning are fine for Katherine. This just happens to be the tenth time. I hope that as Go Max Go grows, they are able to afford their own dairy-free facility. Until then, I am back to dreaming.



This review written for Go Dairy Free.

22 comments:

  1. What a bummer!!! I can imagine how disappointing that is but I guess the silver lining is that her reaction wasn't horrible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. how heart breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo! While the attempt is good, they really do need to be processed in a separate facility. Here's hoping they do soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total bummer! I was just realizing last night that I have to spend the rest of my life candy-bar free.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always disappointed to see the "manufactured in a facility..." statement on packaging. It's the same in our house--usually it's fine but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, how upsetting! :(

    We knew not to question the candy at the checkout either. I've seen some stores have a "candy-free" aisle for parents to go through and skip the drama.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn!
    Enjoy Life makes yummy chocolate candy bars (milk, dark, and with crisp rice). Not a Snickers, I know, but pretty good.

    I agree with the blessing in disguise at the check out - my kids never ask for any of it because they KNOW the answer is always no and always will be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, too bad! That's a disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a bummer. I had seen those and wanted to try them. I think I'll stay away from them now. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww.. :( Well, at least she doesn't know what she is missing.

    That's how I feel about milk. I've never had a glass of cold milk in my life. And Hub will tell me how good it is with, spaghetti or whatevs....It doesn't appeal to me, or look good or refreshing in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor bunny.It's so heart-breaking and scary, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I'm so sorry! I really feel for her, not being able to enjoy those little goodies that other kids can...but hey, blessing in disguise: she won't be gorging on junk food, ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it goofy how we wish to give our kids junk while other parents wish their kids would quit eating so much junk? I'm nutty enough to understand and be sad for you and Katherine.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm glad you enjoyed the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really disappointing : ( Wouldn't it be lovely if the world were more accommodating to those with allergies! We are a vegetarian family and while there are many alternatives available it is often so much work to seek them out! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a bummer, but so sweet of you to try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's truly a shame! Some day you'll be able to find something she can enjoy like that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, how I wish I could eat M&Ms and Snickers. Those were my favorites back in the day before life with a peanut allergy. I do occassionally have M&Ms (and let my oldest eat them) b/c my PA son knows and understands why he can't have them. Still, I miss making M&M cookies and the like.

    I sure wish the candy had been safe for her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a bummer; time for homemade candy bars!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just had to ask, I'm so curious: Is there really a tofu version of feta? Sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww bummer. The only chocolate I've had a good experience with so far is been the Juniour Mints but I only buy from the same place in PA so I'm not will to say 'everyone' can eat them :(
    I remember the disappointment I had with SoyJoy bars I mean why would they put milk in a soy product? *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is such a bummer!

    I've never heard of those candy bars before. I don't have allergies, but they sound good.

    What did you think about the taste??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenn--they are really, REALLY good. That's what makes this extra sad.

    ReplyDelete