Thursday, January 29, 2009

Oxymoron

Today's review: Meatless Hamburger! Yes, you read that right. Otherwise known as Soy-licious! (TM) Hamburger Mix.



As anyone who has more than a passing acquaintance with us knows, we are not vegans. But we do enjoy trying new things, we want to be healthy, and our dairy-allergic daughter has had so many cross-contamination issues with red meat that she doesn't like to eat it anymore. Besides poultry burgers, is there any other type of burger out there that our entire family will eat?

Soy-licious! is almost the answer for us. The taste and texture is very close to ground beef. Four out of five Hatfields ate it and liked it. (The two-year old didn't, but he's...two.) Even Scott, who is VERY PARTICULAR about burgers, said that he liked this "for a veggie burger." That's high praise.

If you will be serving these burgers to carnivores, keep everyone out of the kitchen while you:


Add water and wait 15 minutes.


Add oil and mix well.


Form into desired shape and cook.


OK, you can come into the kitchen now! Look, burgers!

EDITED TO ADD: I forgot the ingredient list! Duh.
Ingredients: Textured soy protein, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, wheat gluten, methylcellulose gum, garlic and onion powder, maltodextrin, hydrolyzed corn and yeast protein, and hydrolyzed wheat gluten, soy sauce powder, dextrose, cottonseed oil, autolyzed yeast extract, malt extract, spices, natural flavoring, torula yeast, chili powder, caramel color, and malic acid.

Nutritional Designs' Meatless Hamburger Mix is available online at Nutritional Designs or by calling 1-888-2-ND-Labs.

Written for Go Dairy Free.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, the finished product doesn't look too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Soy-Licious is almost the answer!"

    Well, you almost sold me on it. :) Sign me up to almost eat it.

    Seriously though, it looks pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was surprised to see how real the finished product looked. :) We've never had a problem with red meat with Kayla thankfully. Hamburgers are her favorite food. :) Too bad I don't like them without cheese... I miss them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is is gluten free?? My kids love red meat, but I don't really eat it. I eat meatless burgers all the time but it's hard to find gluten free ones and I don't want to contaminate our grill. If it's safe from the other allergens, I may have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They actually look good. If they eat it, I will serve it irregardless of looks. Luckily, Miss A can have red meat. And do you have any tips on introducing dairy slowly? Our allergist wanted us to start trying to introduce dairy to her as a challenge. I didn't know how to search for it in your archives. I am inept that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well hello there! Thanks for the comment yesterday. Last night was just awful but I am feeling waaaaay better today.

    I am still hovering on the retirement issue - if your Mom is familiar with the contract she might know about Article 30 - but really, I've gotta do it. I forgot to bid for Feb. and held an "availability" line - SUCKS!!!

    This was a cute post. I can just imagine shoo-shooing folks out of the kitchen whilst I "prepare" the "hamburgers." :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look pretty good. I wonder if they ship to Canada? I'll try to contact them tomorrow.

    Just stumbled across your blog today. My daughter has a dairy allergy as well. You have some great info here!

    ReplyDelete