Monday, September 29, 2008

Birth Weekend

I had a wonderful birthday weekend. On Friday, our local grocery store owner stopped me to tell me that his store now carries: Tofutti ice cream, Tofutti Cuties, Tofutti American Soy-Cheese, and...Tofutti Sour Supreme, a product we have never tried. Also, he has Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese on order. Yay! I don't have to drive out of town to find these items! I don't have to buy them by the case from the natural foods store and then have to figure out where to store them! I can make recipes that call for sour cream! Both of the kids had tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch on Saturday. Such a small, normal thing. It made me so happy.

Scott made birthday apple pie on Saturday. I am one of those rare people who, if given the option, would choose pie over cake every time. Mmm.

The kids were mildly sick on Sunday, so I stayed home from church with various children draped over me. After lunch, I went shopping at the outlet mall by myself where I saw a car with a license plate from my place of birth. Marion, Indiana--Hollah!

We enjoyed spaghetti with homemade sauce and homemade bread for dinner. I'm sorry to let down all of my dairy-free peeps, but after the kids were in bed Scott got me a Peanut Buster Parfait from Dairy Queen. Our Dairy Queen is a rarity because it sells only frozen treats, no hot food, and it is open only half of the year. The opening of DQ is a sign of Spring. I was glad to sneak in one last frozen treat before they close for the winter. (We do go as a family, sometimes. Katherine can have the StarKiss Bars and the Arctic Rush.)

What did I get for my birthday? A food dehydrator! And an awesome dried foods cookbook. We can make our own dried fruits! And fruit rolls! And sun-dried tomatoes! And.... (Help me out, Sally.) Best of all, I received a beautiful homemade card made out of an index card. It will fit perfectly in my wallet.

Thanks for all of your birthday wishes.

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday (belated)

    I'm glad to read you enjoyed some Dairy Queen. Our DQ is like yours too - only seasonal and no hot food.

    Hey have you heard of or found dairy free cottage cheese? Looking for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of DF cottage cheese, but maybe someone else has or has a recipe? Using tofu, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, tomato soup and grilled cheese feels like such a triumph. I am so happy for you because I understand what a struggle this must be.

    (Also, we both got appliances for our birthdays. So, what does this say about our husbands? Hmm.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to a wedding where they had a huge assortment of pies instead of cake. It was absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday!

    One of my goals now that I'm at home during the day is to better utilize our dehydrator. :) We love it already, but I think there's a lot more we could be doing with it. Figuring out how to make flax and dehydrated veggie crackers is up there on my list. (It may sound weird, but we've eaten them in restaurants, and they're awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE all the tofutti items. They are delicious. The cuties dont last too long in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Misty--To be fair, I hinted about the dehydrator. :)

    MBM-- *speechless* Why didn't I think of that???

    Sally--My new cookbook has a recipe for "breakfast cookies" that sounds similar, but with fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Belated! Sounds like a wonderful day!

    And hey! I'm from Indiana, too! Me: Logansport. Hubs: Fort Wayne. I went to Ball State.

    And hey! The peanut buster parfait is my absolute favorite DQ treat, too! And why are there no DQs in Rochester?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never been a fan of cake either. Even as a child I always had a pie or strawberry shortcake at my parties. Once in awhile my dad would make the family secret cheesecake. Yum!

    Great news on your grocery store expanding their dairy-free section! Our usual grocery store doesn't have much variety either, but we're luckily close to a Trader Joe's. They're great for substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday. Sounds like you had a good day. I'm jealous of your DQ. I could seriously go for some ice cream. I've never tried the tofutti fake cheeses - but the other ones we've tried were bad. I don't think my Whole Foods carries tofutti "cheese". But I love their sour "cream" and "cream cheese".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog and really enjoying it. Happy belated birthday - mine was a week before yours. Love your 'two' poem - my Nipper is two. My daughter is allergic to some fruits and vegetables though we're not sure to what extent at the moment. I dread hearing her say "my mouth feels funny". It's nice to find someone from Pennsylvania - I spent a semester at Lock Haven University back in 1985 (I'm making myself feel old now!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, I've been lurking around a raw foods blog - she dehydrates a LOT - steer Sally there for the cracker and bread recipes:
    The Sunny Raw Kitchen
    She also makes to die for desserts! No dairy! No wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday to yooooou! It sounds like it was wonderful. And a food dehydrator is AWESOME! Lucky!
    Our local Dairy Queen closes all winter, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the tofutti better than creem cheeze especially the garden/herb. YUM YUM.. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm late to the party here, but I hope you'll accept many, many belated birthday wishes! Here's to a whole new year of great adventures and much joy!

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, lots of great things. What a nice birthday weekend. (Our DQ's here are the same way. Sucks!)

    ReplyDelete