Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Coffee Mug Cakies


Image courtesy of Gluten-Free Essentials

I am a sucker for gift baskets and gift sets, especially ones people put together themselves. This is one of the reasons I was happy to receive samples of Gluten-Free Essentials' Hug in a Mug cakes. Wee little gluten-free and dairy-free mug cakies!

The cakes come in two chocolate varieties and two spice cake varieties. Chocolate Craving and Spice of Life are sweetened with sugar, and Chocolate De Lite and Spice De Lite are sweetened with Fructevia. You add one egg and 2 T applesauce to the cake mix, mix well, and microwave it in the mug.



Our family preferred the sugar-sweetened varieties to the Fructevia ones, and Chocolate Craving was our favorite flavor. One cake is big enough for two to three people to share. The texture of the cakes is the texture of a low-fat cake. DO NOT think that you can fix this by replacing the applesauce with oil. Ahem.

I think these are cute for gift baskets, Halloween treats, stocking stuffers, or to mail to a GF/DF college student. They would also be handy to take to a family function if you're not sure what the desserts will be. "Aunt Carol, may I please borrow an egg and some applesauce?" But, they are $3.99 a piece! If I wanted to make a dairy-free mug cake at home, I would alter a recipe like this one, and if I wanted to make a gluten-free mug cake at home, I would try this recipe.

Ingredients:
Chocolate Craving: Sorghum flour, rice flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, guar gum, corn starch, baking powder, salt.

Spice of Life: Sorghum flour, rice flour, sugar, baking soda, guar gum, corn starch, baking powder, salt, spices.

Chocolate De Lite: Sorghum flour, rice flour, Fructevia, cocoa, baking soda, guar gum, corn starch, baking powder, salt.

Spice De Lite: Sorghum flour, rice flour, Fructevia, baking soda, guar gum, corn starch, baking powder, salt, spices.

This review was written for Go Dairy Free.

7 comments:

  1. Coffee mug cake! That is so original! Thanks for sharing, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how cute! When I was little I spent the night at a friends' house and her mom made mug cakes. But $3.99 is a bit pricey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are AWESOME! Especially since Alysa's teacher has celiac disease. I already got her a present for this Christmas but will save this for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just noticed the price - I'm too fast sometimes. :) But for me - for a gift, I'd pay it. Better than me spending money on the pricey gluten-free flours, that I wouldn't use often. But if you live gluten-free I'd agree it's a bit much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! How tacky is it to casually request gift baskets from people, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow those are really cool! Would make a nice Christmas present, too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete