Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dairy-Free Fried Chicken

Katherine was asked to submit her favorite recipe at school for a class cookbook. She chose Daddy's fried chicken. Here is the recipe as she and Daddy submitted it.

Daddy's Fried Chicken

3 eggs
1/3 C. water
2 C. self-rising flour
1 t. pepper
chicken pieces (Katherine likes legs the best.)
vegetable oil for frying

Beat eggs with water. Stir pepper into flour.

Dip chicken pieces into the egg, coat well in the flour mixture. Fry in hot oil (350 degrees) until brown and crisp. (Dark meat takes about 15 minutes, white meat takes about 10.)

Freezes well - reheat at 400 until hot and crispy.

Reuse the oil - it tastes better the second time.

4 comments:

  1. You know... I have never had homemade fried chicken. It wasn't something my mom ever made, so I never even knew how! I still won't make it - hot oil scares me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE fried chicken but have never made it. Do you fry in a pan or a deep fryer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had homemade fried chicken until I met Scott. It scares me, too! Cooking it, that is, not eating it. :)

    Scott uses a deep fryer--one that you can close while the food is frying so grease doesn't go all over the kitchen. It's also easier to keep a constant temp. with it. He usually fries chicken just a few times a year, but he makes a lot of it and freezes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really yummy. I'll have to try this.

    ReplyDelete