Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Door Knock Pot Roast

Remember that old Food Network show, Door Knock Dinners? Where a chef like a then-unknown Paula Deen would show up at someone's door and make dinner out of what was in the house? I suck at that.

I am trying to "cook without fear," to quote my sister. That is, cook with what is in the cupboards/fridge/freezer without running to the store for ingredients. I am slowly getting better at this. I can bring myself to make a recipe if I don't have all of the ingredients. But I am still learning to invent something using what we have. By nature I am not the kind of person who says, "Hmm, water chestnuts, Craisins, sardines, and peanut butter... Ah ha! Stir fry!"

Yesterday I tried this technique with pot roast, and... it was good! I share my triumph with you.

Door Knock Pot Roast
1 chuck roast
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 can cranberry jelly, leftover from Thanksgiving
1 package dairy-free dried onion soup mix
1 tablespoon horseradish
1 cup water

Brown pot roast on both sides in a skillet. Meanwhile, mix together all other ingredients in a crock pot. Add the roast to the sauce. I'd probably add some sliced onions next time, too. Cook according to your crock pot's directions for the size of your roast. When the meat is finished, remove to a cutting board. Thicken the sauce in the crock pot with arrowroot and season to taste with seasoned salt, such as Crazy Dave's. Slice meat and serve with the sauce.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds good. Is there a df onion soup mix you recommend? I haven't shopped around for this yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lipton is a nationally-known df brand. I use store brands because they're usually df and cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, but see, one must already have the knowledge for say the browning etc. of the pot roast, and the use of the crock pot to pull that off. I'm getting better too, though. But my crock pot is a really old Rival with only two settings: high, or low. Oh, and off. Is that a setting?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't tell Scott I said this, but you don't *have* to brown the roast. Shh!

    I always end up cooking roasts on the high setting for 5-6 hours because I never start them early enough in the day. If you did start early, it would be 10-12 hours on low, or some combination of both settings. Or something. Check with the Rival people so I don't screw up your dinner.

    ReplyDelete