Friday, February 09, 2007

Overnight Oatmeal Cookies

Wow- I never realized how many February babies I know. Happy Birthday, Kathryn! (Or, as she's known in our house, "Big Kathryn.") And, Happy Birthday, Grandad!

The talk at Catherine Newman's blog and Wondertime column has been all about an awesome overnight bread recipe. While you're trying that, how about some overnight oatmeal cookies to go with? Carbs galore!

Overnight Oatmeal Cookies (Dairy Free, Wheat Free)

The night before you bake, mix together:
4 cups quick oats
2 cups light brown sugar
1 cup canola oil
(I like to refrigerate this mixture, but you don't have to.)

The next morning, mix in:
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Drop from a teaspoon onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes and remove promptly from the oven. Let cool just 1-2 minutes on the cookie sheet, then remove to a cooling rack.

If you want to be extra fancy, melt some dairy-free chocolate chips and dip the cooled cookies into the melted chocolate. Let harden on wax paper.

5 comments:

  1. After perusing your blog, I get the impression that the insides of our kitchen cupboards look an awful lot alike; 'Earth Balance'?, 'Bear Naked'? We are not vegan, or even strict vegetarian, but we eat about a 97% organic diet. I am trying to banish sugar from my life (which means the rest of the family will suffer too...) I'll be back to check out more recipes and compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting! I've been feeling a bit alone out here in blog land.

    I'm nowhere near banishing sugar, but I admire your resolve! One of the challenges for me is that a lot of the truly crappy junk food is dairy free because it uses hydrogenated oil, etc. We don't have it all of the time, but every once in awhile we do. (See birthday post below.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, how I would love to hear your thoughts on what it was like to be a C.O.F.A.
    I think Ben is kind of used to it now - but there are the obvious issues I posted about earlier. Who took care of you when Mom flew? (I assume it was Mom, though I fly with plenty of Dad's too.) What was it like when they got back? Soooo many questions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, do you have to avoid eggs too? My dad is allergic to dairy and so has to really watch it - but I found a really good pumpkin pie recipe that uses soy milk and maple syrup instead of sweetened, condensed milk. It does call for eggs, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luckily, we don't have to avoid eggs for Katherine, or Eli, either. We've been introducing him to one food at a time (wheat, soy, eggs, etc.) slowly. So far he hasn't had a reaction, but we still have some of the biggies to go (chocolate, peanuts, shellfish). We'll see.

    I'd love the pie recipe! Mmm... pie.

    Also, my email is sarahatf at zoominternet dot net. Ask away about my mom being a flight attendant! I think my sister and I turned out just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete