Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Luna Bars: Same as they ever were. Except different.

Many, many moons ago, I eliminated dairy and wheat from my diet because of digestive problems. (T!M!I!) During that time, I became very dependent on Luna bars. Until I became pregnant and very dependent on Kit Kat bars. And Sonic chili cheese tater tots. The guy in the cubicle next to me at work's wife, who was pregnant, (got that?) believed pregnant women shouldn't eat chocolate because of the caffeine. He believed it, too. I kept the Kit Kats in my top drawer and ate a piece of one whenever he wasn't at his desk. Whereas today I proudly proclaim, "I eat chocolate when I'm pregnant and lots of it."

Anywho. Luna recently released bars with a new formula that includes Vitamin D. I tried them, and... they taste exactly as I remember them. (Flavorful, topped with chocolate or white chocolate, kind of like rice crisp bars but a little... grittier.) Which is a good thing. I don't think products need to be newing and improving all the time. Usually that just means they're adding dairy, which ticks me off. (I'm looking at you, Wyler's bouillon.) And Luna bars are the only nutritional bar I've ever liked, so I'm glad they didn't mess with their formula too much.

I tried:
Caramel Nut Brownie
Nutz Over Chocolate
White Chocolate Macadamia
Lemon Zest

Of course I liked the chocolate ones best. The white chocolate was fine; I am not always a white chocolate fan, but I liked it. The lemon zest was OK, but I've always much preferred their chocolate bars to their fruit bars.

Pack of 15 Luna bars available for @ $20 on Amazon.

This review written for Go Dairy Free.

8 comments:

  1. I have a case of chocolate peppermint ones in my pantry. Love them. I use them for dessert or if I'm trying to be good but NEED. SOME. CHOCOLATE. NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the cubicle guy didn't see me swilling coffee while pregnant. Caffeine, I just can't quit you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it, now I want Sonic! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he he, B's preschool sent home a list of what everyone was thankful for the week before thanksgiving. All the other kids were thankful for stuff like mom and dad, siblings, etc. B said she was thankful for "food from sonic." LOL

    I'll have to try the luna bars. I've heard lots of good things about them and i need to find a healthy alternative to sneaking cookies from the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like Luna bars! Not Lara bars though.
    My fave flavors are the cookies and cream and the white chocolate ones. I only wish they were less sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been finding myself rather dependent on cookies lately. Perhaps Luna Bars are a healthier choice?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally thought you were going to say that you ate a kit kat whenever he came near. :) That would have been funny!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete