Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Copycat

Thanks to Nicole for this meme.

Eggnog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate with marshmallows.

Does Santa wrap the presents or leave them open under the tree? Santa leaves unwrapped gifts by the stockings in the living room. The rest of the gifts are wrapped and under the tree in the dining room.

Colored lights on a tree or white? How much time do you have? I like white lights. Scott likes colored blinking lights. So began the epic battle of our newlywed years. We alternated years. We tried white blinking and colored non-blinking. For several years I wound the tree with both white and colored lights. During this time, even my mother-in-law switched to white, non-blinking lights. Then the children were old enough to vote, and they chose colored. Scott would rather they blink, and I would rather they be red, white, and green only, which is my new favorite kind, but mostly we are too tired to care. At least they don't blink.

Do you hang mistletoe? No.

When do you put your decorations up? The first day of buck season, which is the Monday after Thanksgiving. We get the tree a couple weeks later.

What is your favorite holiday dish? All of the seafood dishes on Christmas Eve.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? No.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? Chaotically. Almost ALL homemade ornaments with a few fragile, not-homemade ones at the top. And a lot of these sprinkled around.

Snow. Love it or hate it? I love snow. I would rather be cold than hot. I love walking in the snow. I even like to shovel. What I hatehatehate is bundling children in and out of snow gear all. winter. long. And of course I hate snow in April.

Can you ice skate? Nope.

What is your favorite holiday dessert? Is 'cookies' too vague? What about 'all of the obscure, old-fashioned cookies the ladies in my neighborhood used to make'? You know, like these.

What is your favorite holiday tradition? Everyone holding candles and singing "Silent Night" at the Christmas Eve service.

Candy Canes. Yum or yuck? I like them with chocolate. Dipped in chocolate, stirred in cocoa, on ice cream with chocolate sauce....

Favorite Christmas Show? It's a Wonderful Life.

8 comments:

  1. Blinking lights suck, agreed.

    I've never had candy canes with ice cream and chocolate sauce, but that sounds like something I would REALLY like. I'm a mint chocolate person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eep! Colored AND blinking!? Wow!

    I have this meme scheduled to post I think on Xmas eve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so with you on hot chocolate > eggnog!!
    christmas cookies are the best - not too vague at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think colored AND blinking is bad... my father in law has colored lights that blink and PLAY MUSIC. Yeah..... it's obnoxious

    ReplyDelete
  5. funny!! love this! have a merry christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is exactly how santa left gifts for us! Your answers look almost identical to mine, except our martial dispute starts over whether or not to even have a tree ... we don't even get as far as the lights :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love the holding hands at church part. My germphobic friend probably feels otherwise- Jess! :)
    They always turn all the lights out and we sing while holding hands, then pass candles around, each lighting the candle of the person next to us. It's a sure fire way to get me in the spirit of Christmas even if I've felt Scrooge like all December long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like coloured and STATIC for Christmas lights.
    I hope your Christmas was very, very mery.

    ReplyDelete