Friday, April 20, 2007

Seriously

In between madly cleaning for my in-laws' visit this weekend, I spent yesterday trying to compose a thoughtful post on senseless violence, kissing your kids goodnight, kindergarten registration with an allergic child, and how very hard I try to keep my children safe.

Then Katherine cut her foot on a nail in our living room and we spent the evening in the emergency room. Seriously. Please send my Mother of the Year Award to Sarah at Nowheymama.blogspot.com.
(Katherine is totally fine and doesn't want to talk about it or tell anyone about it, so don't tell her I told you, Ok?)

Clearly we need some chocolate.

Monkey Cookies

3/4 cups shortening
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup mashed banana
1 3/4 cups quick oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cups chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening and sugar together. Mix in the egg and mashed bananas. In a separate bowl, mix together the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon with a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend. Stir in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Drop by the teaspoonful onto a greased baking sheet and bake for eight to ten minutes.


P.S. The cooking show I taped is on the air as we speak. It plays, like, three times a day. Why did I agree to wear the white chef's coat? Also, the sound is messed up, which gives people the chance to sit around thinking, "Wonder why I can't hear anything? Man, that chick looks like a blonde Ina Garten, doesn't she?"

2 comments:

  1. HA! you are funny! Wish I could see the show, they don't broadcast on any Seattle stations, do they? And the giveaways? I had NO IDEA there was so much loot to be had just for blogging. "Seriously" - this is the best hobby ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I'll send a bootleg copy for you and my college roommate in Olympia to share. I'd put it up on YouTube, but I haven't figured out how to use that yet.

    I know! Should we be giving things away, too?

    ReplyDelete