Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Odds and Ends

Helen's princess party was a huge success. The birthday girl's favorite gifts? The dollar-store plastic princesses from her cake and a gift box that looks like a castle. The princesses live there now and are having a fine time.

I'm so sad about Robert B. Parker.I've been rereading all of his novels. This is a great article about him.

Yesterday was also my first OB appointment (not counting the intake appointment). I was waiting for my OB to tease me, but all he said in his fabulous accent was, "I was happy to see your name on my schedule. [pause] You are very brave." I also had my first ultrasound, and there really is ONE little tiny baby in there! The technician said everything looks great. *whew* I never realize how nervous I am that things *aren't* all right till I hear that they are.

The other night I made Catherine Newman's borscht because I am craving cabbage. (And grapefruit juice.) I know, right? But dishes like this and this and this sound so good to me. And if the grocery store has cabbage rolls at the deli? Look out.


13 comments:

  1. Man I love cabbage, too! I've made cabbage rolls on the blog and have an awesome cabbage soup (http://www.dinneratchristinas.com/2008/09/rustic-cabbage-soup.html)!

    So exciting to hear about the one little baby! Thanks for keeping us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a huge cabbage fan. I like sauerkraut, but that is about it!

    Glad to hear everything is going well. Ultrasounds always make me nervous too, as do heart beat checks before I can feel the baby move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cabbage equals YUM! I always crave coleslaw... in fact.. I would love some right now! LOL

    Glad the girl's birthday party was a hit. We have a princess party in our near future as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for the *whew*! I know how that feels. And one little tiny baby! We were glad about the 'one' part, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for princess parties and healthy babies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) So glad everything is going well with pregnancy.
    2) Cabbage seems like a strange thing to crave, but who am I to talk - I craved, no, loved, Cheez Whiz on toast while pregnant, and what is Cheez Whiz anyway? I don't think it is actual food.
    3) Helen and Jake would totally get along. He had a pirate cake for his third birthday and could have cared less about the gifts, so long as he could play with the little cheap toy pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that Helen had a fun party!! And well, good luck with the cabbage :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. cabbage = calcium
    and hey! congratulations!
    The borscht is GOOD. WE (and by "we" I mean Kyle and I) love it. Ben says he doesn't like it when I whiz it with the immersion blender, so I guess we'll do it chunky next time. It'll still taste fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One tiny baby!! You must be so so so excited!! I'm excited FOR you!

    Fourth babies rock. I should know ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know what I want everytime I'm pregnant? PICKLED EGGS. IN fact, it's like a pregnancy test for me - if I look at the jar of them at the store and think "mmm, those look GOOD!" I'd best put on my maternity pants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the ultrasound- both the "healthy" and the "one" parts! Not that twins are BAD, just, at least to me, OVERWHELMING. I'm sure I'd get over it. I just think we'd have to MOVE, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just dropping in to say you won some Sunbutter!

    Please email me your mailing address by Sunday 7:00 PM CST.

    Thanks so much for stopping by and entering! Hope you enjoy the SunButter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations...glad to hear everyone is doing well.

    ReplyDelete