Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Internet Potluck

It feels like fall here today, and I don't know about you, but I'm ready for some new recipes to feed my family. So let's have an Internet Potluck! Post a recipe in the comments section, email me one, or put one up on your blog. I'll collect them all later.
Bonus points if it's a dairy-free recipe or one that can be made dairy free. (Hints: if you usually top your casserole with cheese, I can leave it off. If you use butter and milk, I can use dairy-free margarine and soy milk. If your recipe is Pasta Alfredo or Cream of Chicken Sour Cream Potato Casserole, we might have a problem.)

I'll go first. This recipe is from my Aunt Ruth, and I don't know its real name. I made it all the time when I was pregnant with Katherine. In the summer. In Kentucky. Scott is an understanding man.

Aunt Ruth's Stew

Simmer together for two hours:
1/2 head of cabbage, cut in wedges
1 large can plum tomatoes, squished slightly with your fingers
1 large can sauerkraut
2 tablespoons caraway seeds
3-4 peeled and cubed potatoes
4 pork chops*
1 package Polish sausage*
1 package kielbasa*

Serve in bowls. If you really want to carbo pack you can serve it over mashed potatoes, as Ruth does.

* I try to dial down the fat content by using lowfat sausages and boneless pork chops.


  1. Mmm, that does sound pretty good. Although I wouldn't serve it with more potatoes.

    I'm with you I'm ready for cold weather foods. I'm making chili for tonight, so I'll throw that into your potluck. I just use a simple recipe of my mom's. I'll post it on my site later.

  2. I couldn't resist joining in! I have posted my Whole Wheat Bread recipe for some fall comfort food on my blog - http://www.onefrugalfoodie.com/

  3. Yay! Two great recipes! C'mon, who else wants to join in?

  4. Yum yum yum. I'm going to be posting my soup recipe today, if I ever get around to writing a post!

  5. I posted a dairy free chicken pot pie recipe on my site.

  6. Oh, this is so exciting! Let's see, we can serve Alisa's bread with Swistle's soup or Beck's soup....

  7. I still haven't figured out how to do this "link" stuff, but I wanted to let you know that I posted a recipe on my blog, too.

    Do they make no-whey cream of mushroom soup?


    Thank you, thank you! I'm always dying to try new recipes!

  8. CAQuincy -

    I know! I keep leaving hints for someone to teach me how to link in the comments section, but no luck so far.

    Thanks for the recipe; yes, I can make it dairy-free!