Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lemon Sauce

Beck posted a wonderful, dairy-free gingerbread recipe the other day. While she recommends serving it with butter (margarine) or applesauce, my favorite gingerbread topping is lemon sauce. Gingerbread (or another kind of spice cake) with lemon sauce seems to be a perfect way to welcome November. Because unlike my local W@lmart, where the sound system was playing "Monster Mash" while the employees feverishly set up Christmas displays, I am not ready to speed from October 31 to December 25.

Lemon Sauce (adapted from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook)

1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
1/2 cup lemon juice
grated rind of one lemon (if all I have is bottled lemon juice, I leave this out.)
dash of salt

Mix the sugar and cornstarch together in a small saucepan. Add the boiling water, stirring constantly. Boil for five minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the margarine, lemon juice, lemon rind, and salt. Serve warm.

4 comments:

  1. I DO love lemon sauce, but for me, lemon sauce makes it a Christmasy dessert. Which is odd, now that I think about it!
    Have you ever made fresh ginger cake? Oh mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh - that would make a yummy lemon pudding, all on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea, Lori D!

    TFM - Scott is with you there, for sure.

    ReplyDelete