Monday, February 14, 2011

Random Hearts

I cannot believe how much candy/how many treats came home from preschool today. Or, to quote my son, "Mama, I thought Valentines were that you cut a heart out of paper and wrote on it." I agree about the paper hearts. Well, paper hearts and chocolate.

I'm going to make a dairy-free version of this chocolate cake for dessert tonight. I made my dad's favorite cake for his birthday this past weekend, and when someone asked, "Where did you get the recipe?" I said, "Where do I get most of my recipes?" Entire table in unison: "Catherine Newman." Yep. (Stephanie O'Dea and Mary Ostyn are two other good guesses. I'm making Mary's blueberry muffins tonight, too. In heart-shaped muffin tins.)

Recently, while making popcorn in the Whirley-Pop Catherine recommended, Scott said, "She's really had an influence on our lives, hasn't she?" She has, and so have you. Happy Valentine's Day.



8 comments:

  1. i was shocked by how much candy came home too. and ironically, today was the day the dentist visited the class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most candy is off the table in our house because of peanut allergy - I don't know whether to be sad or proud that my daughter took all of her Valentine candy and just asked, "Can I put this in the trash?"!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine's friends are very aware of her dairy allergy, so she came home with only one candy she can't eat. Um. Yay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got SOME candy, but mostly pencils. Every year we get many pencils. Heart ones, Toy Story ones, pencils, pencils, pencils. Some day we are going to sharpen them and use them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son's preschool sent home a note specifically requesting ONLY cards, no candy or other treats. About half of the parents complied. I'll be enjoying the treats sent in by the other half.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw! Catherine's influenced my life as well. Love her.

    Brother wouldn't let me send any heart shaped crap to school. Made me sad. My baybeeee....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ina Garten has an amazing chocolate cake recipe that I make dairy-free for my 10 year old daughter. It's called Beatty's Chocolate Cake. It calls for buttermilk, and I use Mimic Creme mixed with 2 tsp lemon juice. It's our favorite chocolate cake around here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Msu4two--I'll have to check that out! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete