Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Autumn Eats

I made pumpkin puree on Monday, per The Pioneer Woman's instructions. So now I can make pumpkin bread. Then maybe I'll continue my autumn baking with a recipe from BeanPlate, like Nora Bee's Shoo-fly Pie. Mmmm....

Pumpkin Bread from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I usually omit this.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda. Mix the pumpkin, oil, eggs, water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients. Stir in the nuts, if desired. Pour into a greased loaf pan. Bake 50-60 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn the bread out of the pan and cool on a rack.

Edited to add: For muffins, bake the batter at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes in muffin tins.

6 comments:

  1. i have a pumpkin sitting on my table that i've been meaning to cut into. hopefully i can get motivated to make some puree before it totally rots.

    also...thanks for the link to the shoofly pie recipe. ive been trying to find a good one for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    My daughter is also allergic to dairy (along with eggs, peanuts, treenuts, sesame, & coconut). I just started a blog that lists what we eat every day to give other moms menu ideas: www.foodallergyfamilyfun.blogspot.com . I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I am making this TONIGHT!

    Except I don't have a loaf pan.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a weird fondness for pureeing food- it started with making baby food! But pumpkin by far is my favorite. And only because of the oh-so-sweet desserts you can make with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing. Pumpkin pie is on the mind..,.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have two little pumpkins sitting on my counter that I may have to sacrifice for the good of the family ... to make pumpkin muffins! Thanks for posting this helpful info.

    ReplyDelete