Tuesday, August 05, 2008
Is That a Cucumber in Your Pasta?
Why, yes. Yes it is. I recommend this salad for your next picnic because it:
1. Tastes like refrigerator pickles.
2. Can be made way ahead of time.
3. Makes a lot.
4. Can become a complete meal with the addition of shredded chicken.
5. Has no mayonnaise,
6. And therefore no food poisoning!
7. Is egg free!
8. Could be made gluten free with gluten-free pasta!
9. Uses up one of the cucumbers lurking in your fridge!
Cool Cucumber Pasta (adapted from my friend's mother-in-law's recipe)
16 oz. penne pasta
1 T. olive oil
1 medium cucumber, unpeeled and thinly sliced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 T. prepared mustard
1 T. fresh dill, chopped
1 tsp. each salt and pepper
Cook pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook. Drain and rinse in cold water. Place pasta in a large bowl. Stir in the oil, cucumbers, and onions. Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss. Cover and chill for at least four hours--overnight is best. Stir occasionally.