Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Spring Summer Soup



Because our children will eat only so many salads.


Summer Soup, adapted from Edward Harris Heth's Spring Soup

2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 T. margarine
1 quart chicken stock or broth made from dairy-free bouillon
2 cups fresh, young greens (I use the baby salad mix that comes in our CSA box.), cut into ribbons
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (or chervil or basil), chopped
rind and juice from half a lemon
salt and pepper

Fry the potatoes and carrots in margarine just until golden. Add the chicken stock/broth and boil until the vegetables are tender. Puree with a stick blender. Add the greens, herbs, and lemon juice and rind and simmer for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with BLTs.

12 comments:

  1. this looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice recipe! Will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can eat soup all year round!

    It's always freezing with the A/C in my office, so I bring soup a lot during the summer

    I love this soup, so easy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ate the leftovers cold, and that was good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, that looks really good and healthful. I will be saving this recipe and trying it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this. My family LOVES soup and this recipe looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm sounds good! I love a good summer soup :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I like your "leave your comment note" I have three little ones too!
    We are a soup loving family, this one sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that sounds de-licious! I may have to try that recipe out sometime.

    ReplyDelete