Monday, April 27, 2009

Dear Parents of the Birthday Child

I know you think it's weird that I stayed at your daughter's party. None of the other parents did. Not even the mother of that other allergic girl. And why was I picking up the food and reading the labels? How rude. What could be wrong with hot dogs or buns or chips or nacho cheese sauce or cake or ice cream? Your daughter really can't eat this cake? She'd really rather have a squashed cupcake from your bag? Well, OK.

Please let me help since I'm here anyway. I feel weird enough as it is making chitchat with the grandparents and aunts and uncles and cousins who want to know which child is mine. She isn't shy, is she, ma'am? She seems fine. She doesn't even check in with you, and frankly, ma'am, you seem a bit uncomfortable, so why are you staying again?

Because. It's not about me or you. It's about the safety of a child.

Sincerely,

Nowheymama

21 comments:

  1. You are a wonderful MAMA. Keep up the diligence and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup...been there, done that and will keep doing it whenever I think it's necessary. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are wonderful.

    what you do through this blog, and through your diligence with your daughters life is amazing. you have really educated me and im sure others around you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good mom. I admire you for never letting your guard down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always ALWAYS stay. I am sure I get some odd looks - but I don't care. 9 out of 10 times, the parents are aware of Olivia's allergies and are HAPPY that I stay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, holy freaking crap. I followed the link. I had no idea.

    I have a peanut allergic child.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your blog makes me praise the LOrd for my friends and church family. We always stay for everything, and everyone always asks me what my daughter can eat. I think I will hug all of them the next time I see them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes people just don't understand. There is a lot of ignorance out there! You are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always invite parents because I would stay. We also put a note in our invites asking if anyone has allergies and our number.We always want everyone to have fun.I didn't do this until we found out our youngest is allergic to milk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We always ask about allergies and if someone did have allergies I would prefer their parent stay to keep an eye out because being kids, they will do silly things and I would feel terrible if anything happened. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know it's hard, but so glad you stay around! My mom did, and I spent a year checking labels myself before we had Gavin tested! Don't worry about how over protective or weird it looks you know you're doing the right thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah - that story really struck me too. I hate that uncomfortable feeling also. But we forge ahead. You're the reason she felt so comfortable at the party. :)

    Maybe next year we can all get together at the conference. What a great "reunion" that would be. I know I'll definitely go again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your tweet to me on the side of the page. That's not what I was GOING to say, but I got distracted.

    Okay! Last week, I took The Baby to a birthday party and the mom was all "you don't need to stay." DUDE, SHE IS FOUR! SHE HAS FOOD ISSUES!

    ReplyDelete