Friday, May 11, 2007

No-Stir Risotto

Surprise Mom with a fancy, and very easy, Mother's Day risotto.

Italian Sausage Risotto (adapted from a John Pisto recipe)

1-1.25 lbs. sweet Italian turkey sausage
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup carrot shreds
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup dry red wine
2 cups beef broth (sometimes I use dairy-free beef bouillon)
salt and pepper

Take the sausage out of the casings and brown it in a Dutch oven or large pot. Remove the sausage and set it aside. Saute the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in olive oil in the pot until tender. Add the sausage, arborio rice, wine, and beef broth to the pot. Stir together and bring to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes, until the rice is tender. No peeking! Salt and pepper to taste.

3 comments:

  1. yummy, that sounds really good! I'd watch you on The Food Network!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds so good. I've posted Soule Mama -- thanks for recommending her post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee - Thanks, Sara. I'm over my bout of self pity. :)

    This recipe *is* really good and easy. And the alcohol cooks off, so it's fine for kids.

    Hipwritermama - I'm so glad you liked SouleMama's post; her blog is my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete