Monday, September 17, 2012

Green Tomatoes

One of my favorite Tightwad Gazette tips is the one about letting people know you are willing to take free stuff. Even free stuff that seems like junk to them. It may be trash, or it may be something wonderful like hand-me-down clothing. Or green tomatoes.

Fried Green Tomatoes, adapted from Wisconsin Country Cookbook and Journal

green tomatoes
dairy-free milk
flour, mixed with salt, pepper, and a little maple or brown sugar
DF margarine
shortening
more DF milk
DF chicken bouillon powder

Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Dip in milk and then in flour mixture. Fry slowly in 1/2 DF margarine and 1/2 shortening until crisp, brown, and tender. Remove to a plate. Add more DF milk to the pan, along with a sprinkling of DF chicken bouillon. Reduce into a pan gravy and pour over the tomatoes.

After you've eaten your fill of fried green tomatoes, puree the rest of the green tomatoes in your food processor and freeze in 2 1/2 cup and 2 cup amounts to make:

Green Tomato Cake--I usually leave out the raisins and stir the coconut into the batter.
Green Tomato Raspberry Jam

(Yes, we've cooked and enjoyed both. The cake is one of my dad's favorites.)

Now go raid your neighbors' tomato patches. With their permission, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot BELIEVE there are people who don't like fried green tomatoes. I know it, though, because I live with them. More for me!

    ReplyDelete